Coronavirus disease is an infectious respiratory disease which is caused by newly discovered virus (SARS-CoV-2). This virus is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes or exhales. These droplets being too heavy will quickly fall on surfaces rather being in air. The infection spreads when anyone breath in the air contaminated with virus being in the close proximity with the covid infected person, or touching a contaminated surface and then eyes, nose or mouth.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms vary with individual. Studies reveal that most of the infected people will have mild to moderate illness and recover on their own. The immunity of individual plays a key role in fighting back with the disease and hence the virus affects different people in different ways.
Common symptoms are:
The most serious symptoms are:
- Breathlessness / shortness of breath
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Loss of speech or movement
There are few less common symptoms too
- Sore Throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Rash on skin / discoloration of fingers or toes.
The virus on average takes about 5 to 6 days to show up the symptoms, but also can take up to 14 days. Please seek immediate medical attention if serious symptoms are observed.
Favipiravir – Latest Drug for Corona?
Glenmark becomes the first pharmaceutical company in India to manufacture drug to treat mild to moderate Covid-19 disease. It has been given approval by the Indian Drug controller DCGI. The generic name of the drug is Favipiravir. The drug is sold in the name of “Fabiflu”.
Why Favipiravir is preferred as cure for Corona?
- It has a proven in-vitro activity against SAARS CoV-2.
- It has wide therapeutic safety margin for high dosage.
- 80% Covid-19 population is mild to moderate disease.
- It has shown promising results in couple of studies in China.
- Already being used in Russia & Japan Covid-19 treatment guidelines.
What dose of Favipiravir is given in the treatment?
The recommended dosage is
- On day 1, a dose of 1800mg drug to be given twice
- From day 2, a dose of 800mg drug to be given twice up to day 14.
How much does medication costs?
The drug will be available as a prescription based medication. In India, each tablet of 200mg costs around ₹103/-. A strip consists of 34 tables which would be costing ₹3500/-. The cost of medication for a 14day treatment would be approx. ₹13390/-
Any Precautions / Warnings while taking Favipiravir Drug?
- Need to be careful while given to the patients suffering from Gout or history of Gout.
- Psychoneurotic symptoms such as abnormal behavior have been reported.
- Viral infection may be complicated with bacterial infections or may be confused with symptoms of influenza.
When not to use Favipiravir drug?
- Severe Kidney or Liver disease / impairment.
- Pregnant women.
- Lactating women.
- Hypersensitivity to favipiravir.